View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Sober Mountain Lion 'Encounter'

I forgot this was my 18 week 'Anniversary', being Friday and all. That's good news. I'm not permitting myself to become complacent. But, Drinking is becoming a bit like some old Sports Injury. You recall it, but it's not in your Consciousness every single hour.

Da Wife came running out of our remote House a few days ago, yelling 'Whoa, whoa'! What she estimates to be a ~125 lb., well-fed Mountain Lion sauntered by outside our huge Kitchen Window at ~6 P.M.. Not exactly stealth behavior. She grabbed our Goldie off his Leash and got him inside pronto. Me - hey - I'm expendable.

I grabbed my .357 and scanned where the Cedar Trees begin on the edge of our Mesa-top Ranchette. Of course, the Cat was gone. A Goat was killed nearby, and I'm always finding pretty-intact Deer Skeletons in one of our two Canyons with Springs and lotsa Cattails. A real 'Killing Field' down there. The Deer have now gone to high Valleys. So, the Sheep below us and the Calves adjacent become the new Deli. As do Pets.

My point, and I do have one, is that I can't imagine such a near-encounter with a Big Cat while lethally armed, hammered, and incapable of calm judgment. Not your every day Sobriety Story, but an experience I'll add to my growing List of them.

I'm hoping our Skies clear later for viewing Comets.

A resolute Weekend to all.