Thread: Moderation???
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Cahabr View Post
I'm really not a fan of the thinking "Normal people moderate, alcoholics cannot".
It gives an impression that moderation is good and there is something inherently different between us and "normal people".

Guess what folks, I am an alcoholic, and I was able to successfully moderate my drinking for years. I even wrote a blog about how how having a drink or two a day can be healthy for you. It's a crock, a golden goose, a fairy tale! Alcohol is a poison, your body and mind doesn't need it or want it. I can confidently say that nothing good comes from moderation. You're just walking on the edge inviting a fall over the side of the cliff. This goes for all "alcoholics" and "normal people".
As an alcoholic - I've 'moderated' for significant periods also. But in the end it always wound up going past that. That's the difference, I think, between alcoholoic and moderate drinking. (I also dislike the term 'normal').

Frankly, even 'moderate' is kind of a silly thing. It is taking in a toxic substance to alter one's perception of reality and one's behavior within that reality. Why even do it? I ask that question more and more. Though I know that it's for the sensation of it, to relax, to be more 'free' or whatever. I mean, even so-called "normal' people really only drink to have that feeling - or else what would be the point?

Why not simply drink water - something the body actually needs and is nurtured by - if not seeking that sensation?

But some people are just hard wired to be zero-or-a-thousand people.... if we're gonna have that feeling, we are after ALL of that feeling.... right to the edge.....