Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stoogy
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm really worried that I don't want to quit drinking badly enough, to truly quit. But at the same time, I really really want to quit. But drinking is giving me something that I can't seem to find anywhere else. It's a deep, deep pleasure and bliss - everything feels so great. I know it doesn't last. I know there are so many negative side effects to it, and those things are ruining my life. I want to quit. But, I also don't know how I would survive without drinking (ironic, I know).

A couple months ago, after being in the hospital, I was afraid to drink or else I would cause more pain/harm to my body. So I went back to my eating disorder. Then I cleared that up, and then ended up severely depressed. Just sleeping all day. I couldn't bear to be alive, so I would just sleep. I used to self harm, but luckily, I didn't turn back to that. So I just slept, because being alive and conscious was too depressing.

Then I found out my body could handle drinking again. The floodgates opened, and wow did I drink!! And now I still can't seem to stop. I stopped for 33 days recently, but then started drinking again. it's definitely filling some need.... I know it is.

I'm afraid that the negative aspects of me drinking are not outweighing the positives of drinking. I desperately want them to, but maybe they're not??? Do I have to wait until some stupid time in the future where I finally hit rock bottom? What if it stays this way, where drinking is causing some damage but the pleasure I get from it is higher? Am I doomed forever???

Am I just not ready to quit? I want to be able to quit...I don't want to WANT to drink. I just feel like if I quit, I would have nothing strong enough to keep me quit. I have a therapist who will be working through this with me, but... it doesn't seem to be enough. I will be joining some sobriety groups too, which hopefully will help. But I know this has to come from inside me. I'm so worried that I don't have what it takes. That I'll just be a prisoner forever. Like I am in that part of the abusive relationship where yes, I am being abused and I don't like it, but I am also getting something out of it and seem to think it's not that bad... I just don't know. I think I'm doomed.

Is there hope for me? Or does it sound like I'm just not in a place to quit. Like I don't want it badly enough. I feel like when I tried to quit before, there was nothing else that could possibly feel as good as drinking made me feel. I need more satisfying things in my life I guess. I know that life isn't all peachy - and that there is a lot of pain too - but I would like to be able to handle this life without relying on alcohol. I want to be free of it. But.... do I want it badly enough? I'm so torn.
Hi, some of us want it but most of us NEED it.
But you are kinda in between at the moment, we both know what is best for you but what you want may be something else right now.
You are not the first and will not be the last person to not be sure at this point in your life a lot of us were scared into staying sober and som of us needed that wake up call to see it through to this point.