Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
CaringScared

My crack-addicted boyfriend checked himself into rehab two days ago. As I was walking to work today, I thought about all the things I believe need to happen for someone like him to have a chance at sobriety--very humane treatment, a radically different environment, kinder and healthier relationships, support in times of relapse, etc. etc. In other words--things I can't give him. Because it's a societal issue. And I'm just me.

I wish things were different. They are what they are.

I talked to him today and just listened, that's almost all I do is listen. If I don't know the right thing to say, I don't say anything. I don't know if this is good or bad, it's the best I can muster right now.

He's 26 and never been to rehab. Been smoking crack for a little over a year. I hold out little hope that he won't relapse when he gets out. I only hope they plant some seed in him that maybe some day will have fruition--or just teach him strategies to alleviate his misery a little.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate all of you, and all of your posts help me, there are huge hearts on this board.