Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I am confused about this as well, i've done lots of reading and reading since i signed up here and have been comparing notes as well.

It seems there are different types of drinkers, i have read some rather perplexing, disturbing, and bizarre stories on here that go something like this:

"I was sober for a couple months, then one day i had just 1 drink....... then i couldnt stop myself and before i knew it i had drank 14 cans, it was like it happened by itself and i had no control at all, like someone else took over my body and mind"

^ Personally i NEVER experienced this bizarre phenomenon when i was drinking, if i felt that "just an extra drink" would push me over into the "sweet-spot" of euphoria i would go have an extra 1 or 2, but that's it - i would stop there....... there was no "complete loss of control" like some of the more extreme and bizarre stories on here describe.

Even towards the end when i was drinking much more than when i first started, i would have an effective dose of booze and maybe 1 more and stop there. I wouldn't senselessly, unnecessarily, and recklessly go drink an extra 3,4,5,6,7,8 beers like some of the more extreme examples........ that doesnt make sense to me. I tried to binge drink one day just to see what would happen, i ended up in the bathroom puking my guts out 20 minutes later. I would say for the most part, my drinking was pretty consistent.

It seems there is a spectrum of sorts and every person is on a different point on that spectrum.
I often imagined that my drinking and my drinking behaviors weren't "extreme" or "bizarre," but the rest of the world tended to differ. Comparing my drinking and my drinking behaviors favorably to other people is part of the addiction and is generally the result of untreated alcoholism. Having an incomplete loss of control is cold comfort when alcohol is causing problems in your life.

You either stopped or tried to stop for a reason, or perhaps you found no good reason to stop. But your justifications (rationalizations) for continuing to drink are thin if alcohol is causing problems in your life.