Old 05-17-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zeroptzero

I can't go back in time and convince my 25 year-old self to stop. I'd say I wish I could, but I have learned not to indulge in that kind of wishful thinking anymore. I don't regret the past or wish to shut the door on it, as the saying goes.
I'd like to be helpful to you. I don't think I would have listened to anyone at 25. Maybe you are more willing to listen then I was. My drinking (and drunk behavior) was very similar to yours at that age. I even broke my hand in college too. I didn't consider stopping. For many years most of the time drinking wasn't a problem. A fight here and there, blackouts, embarrassments, but nothing to make me really consider giving up alcohol. How could I when it was such a big part of my life? It was intertwined with everything, good times and bad. Always an occasion to drink. Beer turned to wine, wine turned to martinis and scotch. Towards the end it turned into whatever was strongest and cheapest, washing down the various pills I was taking to help with my "anxiety" and "sleep problems." Life went on, graduate degree, decent job, marriage. In retrospect I always settled for less than. I didn't have the career or the marriage I should have. I wasn't the person I could have been. Still the prevailing thought that it was everything else but the alcohol. The denial is incredible, as is the desire to protect your ability to keep drinking. Unfortunately things got worse. When faced with life's problems I had no way of coping other than a drink. My solution became the biggest problem.
You have everything to gain by letting go now. You have nothing to lose. The one or two drinks at dinner is not worth it. Reflect very honestly. Do you really want one drink? No, you want to be able to have one drink and enjoy it and feel comfortable like you see other people, but you probably know that just doesn't happen for you. I respectfully don't think it is about emotions or situations or taking a temporary break. Alcohol is a substance that is going to flow through your body and effect you in a certain way. You can't change that.
The thing that you probably can't see now is that alcohol is absolutely not necessary to your life. It is sad how we want to embrace it, when it has nothing but misery in store. Have you ever woken up and regretted not drinking the night before? If you quit now and look back you will never regret it. Please, please just walk away now. It won't get any better or easier.