View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Wow, I guess that Maine does really have the toughest drunk driving laws in the country. I had one DUI, never had a moving violation in my life, was home in bed sleeping and they woke me up to take me to jail. I had hit a parked car and pulled up into my driveway, went into the house and went to bed. I did win the DMV case because they could prove that I had been in an accident but couldn't prove that I had been drinking when it happened. However, I had to pay a steep fine to the state in order to stay out of jail ($1400) and lost my license for 90 days. I also had mandated 7 week counseling and no alcohol use for the duration. You get tried twice in Maine, once by the DMV and then the state. That's right, two trials.

Back to the jail incident. I wouldn't do the breathalyzer and they treated me like a common criminal (not that I wasn't, I own that). I was verbally abused and put into a solitary holding cell in their attempts to try to coerce me into taking the test. This is all with no DMV record whatsoever and I wasn't even in my car. Doesn't matter, I deserved exactly what I got.

In the end, right now you're going through something really tough so it's not going to be hard to stay away from alcohol. You'll get past this. A cop told you not to do the breathalyzer? That's a little suspect to me. You will definitely want to get a lawyer because they can now say anything they want such as you refused to take it.

Learn from this. Not just now but keep it in mind when you're past it. They won't go so easy on you next time.