View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

For sure, look for some ppl from Ohio. Michigan law is really harsh (super-DUI, mandatory this and that, etc) but I'm not familiar with Ohio law. After 3 in 6 yrs, I'm pretty familiar with Michigan law. lol

Physicians, police, attorneys, surgeons, bank presidents, elected officials, stock brokers (which I was.....and the NYSE does have regulations about who can be licensed as a broker if they have drinking violations), and so forth all have had DUI's. All have been able to rise above their past discretion if that was the path they chose. I thought I chose that path but my future would tell a different story.

I don't mean to minimize it but after the sting of #2 and then especially #3, the first one seems almost like ripping a band-aid off -- TO ME. When I was in your shoes, I was scared $hitless. To me now, #1 wouldn't even frighten me for more than 5 minutes.

Suffice it to say, it's gonna sting.....you'll have to spend some money, and you'll probably have to do a fair amount of stuff you don't want to do. What will matter the absolute most........by a million miles.......is how you approach life from this moment forward. Living in fear, regretting the past, trying to understand or control the future.......all those things keep us from being present in the moment and actually enjoying life.

You'll likely be forced to get some "education" on alcoholism. That could come from AA, maybe some therapy, maybe a MADD meeting or whatever the courts in your area typically order. Try to go through that stuff with an open mind and heart. Most importantly, try to do it while being honest with yourself.

Like I said, #1 scared me and that pain/fear was enough to help me stay sober for about 7 or 8 months. It took a couple years.....but eventually I was not only drinking but drinking and driving all over again. Thankfully, 2 and 3 showed up and I was forced to not just pay a price but to be far more proactive in my "alcohol problem." Were it not for the courts and most of the stuff I was ordered to do, I probably wouldn't be sober 7 years later like I am now. On my own, I probably would have done what I did before: round up some clean time then, sooner or later, start easing back into drinking and drugging.