View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Starshines

Just a little update, he hasn't had a drink all week, and that's the longest it's ever been since we've known each other. Withdrawal symptoms haven't been terrible so far, and he admitted it's actually a nice feeling to wake up sober. He had a rough day yesterday and said he seriously considered having a drink but decided against it because he didn't want to risk it. That's probably the first time he's ever made that decision on his own without me even knowing about it, and it made me want to cry. He's still not ready for AA or anything like that, but I'm not going to push for more right now since stopping has already been a huge step. One day at a time.

He asked me honestly why I'm still with him when anyone else would have left already. I know we both have major codependency issues that date back to our childhoods, and that needs to be something I work on for myself. I'm hoping I can learn to be stronger and love myself more.

This week's been a roller coaster of emotions, both good and bad. I guess I realized I've been codependent for so long that I feel like I really don't even know HOW to worry about myself and take my focus off him. There are still other issues to deal with beyond the alcohol and it's going to be a long process.