View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lillamy

Her high school is fantastic. She's got a tremendous support system there (which is the only reason I can even have a job -- because she doesn't rely on me 100% for everything anymore, thank GOD!).

But they have other kids, kids with bigger problems. I've told DD that, too -- that the teachers, counselor, psychologist, asst principal who have gone out their ways to help her, they see a smart kid with a well-functioning home situation who is simply not doing the work necessary. And they have limited time to spend -- and there's the kid whose mom is a meth addict, there's the kid who lives with mom and 4 siblings in an efficiency and everyone is drinking and drugging, and there's... the list goes on and on. And they're going to focus their time on the biggest problems, and the kids who try hard despite problems.

It's two steps forward, one step back. But I have to remind myself that a year ago, she was failing ALL her classes. The fact that she's actually passing classes this year, going to school every day, and doing some of her homework -- that's something I would not have felt I could expect a year ago. Things are getting better.

But like you say -- it's my child. I want to help so bad.