View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Oh, WTBH -- we're in a small town with not a lot of options. Basically, the option we have is a HS program for kids who have been incarcerated or got pregnant in middle school or have such severe behavior problems that they're considered risks for other students. Not an ideal place, I think.

DH has been crunching the numbers to see if we could get by on his income -- homeschooling has been discussed -- but I don't think that's a great solution. It would solve the problem of getting through courses and learning academically, but such a great part of her need is relationship building, and doing it in an environment where you can't control context and where you can't just walk away when things go south...
Are there online learning options that are self directed? Could she do a homeschooling online thing herself and do art type classes at the traditional high school?

The relationship building piece totally sounds key... Is there anyone she has connected with teacher or adult wise at the high school?

I'm so sorry for the pain this must cause you-- wanting to fix things, wanting her to help herself, not knowing what to do to help.... In moments like these I am oh so grateful that my kids are still so young and I can help fix things with much more ease...

Hugs xoxo