View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Perfume

First Post - help!

Hi everyone

I have been lurking around and reading stuff for a few days and finally feel ready to ask for some help.

My 32 year old boyfriend is an alcoholic. We have been together for 2 years and although I previously sometimes thought something was 'off', I didnt realise until very recently. He was hospitalised a few months ago for 2 weeks with a collection of symptoms that were thought to be a virus but now realise were a withdrawal (including DT and seizures). It was truly awful. At the hospital they confirmed he has liver damage and some brain shrinkage, which they said *may* be alcohol related but he denied he drank much. Since he came home I thought he might have been drinking but when I asked he always denied it. I found evidence on Saturday night and confronted him and he did admit then that he is drinking quite heavily (maybe 2 bottles of vodka a week) and that he has a problem. I told him that I would not watch him destroy himself and that if he continued to drink after being so ill in hospital then it was a real big problem. He agreed to stop and get help. I feel so dumb for not knowing before.

He has not drunk since Saturday now. He is very very tired and sometimes his speech is slurred and he has shakes. Mentally/emotionally he is depressed and anxious and irritable and so sad, he keeps crying and saying he has failed.

I guess I dont really know what I am asking! Mostly around the withdrawal, how long will it last? But his usual drinking pattern is to binge every 3 or so days and then not drink in between, so I dont know how that would affect things and what his body 'expects'? And how do I get help? His doctors wont talk to me because of confidentiality but he is too tired to go out if I make an appointment for them to see him. I dont know how to help him while he is at home. And should I stay off work to be with him and how long for?

thank you so much for any help or insight anyone can share.