View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

My younger daughter emotionally is the same as your freshman year of high school failer... I don't know what to do with her or myself most days...

I have a hard time drawing a line and holding her to limits bc I feel guilty that the emotional turmoil she is in is bc of her father and I...

My thoughts are this:

- Are there any alternative programs in your district? A program for kids who learn just fine but who need a different setting, more emotional support maybe? I worked in programs like this and the kids were all very bright but needed more 1:1 personal attention before they could get their sh*t together academically...

I think kids want to be successfully innately and I tend to think that her telling you she just doesn't care is maybe a cover for "I am scared, overwhelmed, emotional and its easier to say I don't care than say I don't know where to begin..."

That's just my gut approach to all kids as a teacher-- I have had students who sound a lot like your daughter and sometimes it's helping them make a non academic connection with a teacher that really makes a difference... Or finding an outlet within the school that they are connected to...

Maybe explore the alternative school options in your district and see if there is anything available?