View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Starshines

Hope for the future

Hello everybody, I am new here and this is my first post. I am the wife of an alcoholic and I stumbled upon this website accidentally, but am glad I did. For years I have heard the "I'm going to change, it won't happen again" promises, usually lasting only a day or two, then repeating. I have continued to forgive and forget and I think I've reached my breaking point. I used to remember seeing commercials about battered women and thinking to myself how could anyone in their right mind stay with an abusive partner. Then it hit me, that I was basically in the same situation and I'm still around because I love him. There's never been any physical abuse, but plenty of mental abuse and other problems like infidelity and drug use.

That being said, I think my AH is finally ready to get help. I'm prepared for a long and difficult journey for both of us but I think I'm going to need some support of my own. I have never opened up to anyone about his problem (even our families and friends have no idea how much he drinks) or about our marriage problems in general, and I feel I need just as much help as he does. My emotions are all over the place. Some days I'm numb, others I'm angry, depressed, or just emotionally exhausted. I want this to work out because I know we can't continue like this.

I've never been to any meetings or anything and this is basically getting years worth of baggage off my chest, so thank you for listening.