View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
PippiLngstockng

Lillamy - i know this experience.

My two oldest children are quite bright but this past years has been tough. They both aren't sure if they will pass their years.

For where we live, it isn't uncommon to repeat a year and they are both in advanced programs, which makes passing itself an achievement. So you can't compare this school system to the US.

However. They are both capable of far more. Now that the semester is finishing up, they are both receiving much better grades. The whole demeanor of our home has improved this spring and they are taking more responsibility for themselves.

Anyway. As this relates to your high schooler. I don't threaten to kick them out for bad grades. I think talking to a child about what you may do in 3 years is pointless. Take the Al Anon language. One day at a time. Your child needs to do better today. What can you do today to support her? See if you can get some honesty from her. If she isn't opening up to her therapist then something isn't right.

I wouldn't mix codie and parenting. Your child is a child. They change more easily and suddenly than an adult. Definitely make this an issue, expect more from her, open the lines of communication any way you can. Maybe she wants more attention from you. Maybe she just needs to wake up.

You will figure it out. Or she will. Then the tide will change and it'll be something else to worry about entirely.

Isn't parenting always a growth opportunity?