View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MARNIELK

He is sober - now what?

Good Day.
I am new to this Forum. My story is very much the same as most. My partner is a recovering cocaine addict and tomorrow he is 30 days sober. He has been home for a week from his second time around rehabilitation center. So far so good. He is doing his meetings and started a new job. He found a sponsor and seems to be handling everything well. Me on the other hand - well I am struggling to cope with insecurities. We have been together for over 5 years and have a 2 year old son. He was an active addict when we met so I am wondering if he ever really loved me. I am going to some meetings and they say that cocaine is a mind altering substance so was his feelings ever really real. Also I am trying to help by not getting in the way of what he needs to focus on. Which basically means I need to do continue doing all the real life stuff. Cooking, cleaning, working, looking after our son, paying the bills. I have been doing this for years but feel a little deflated now that he is recovering and still I am receiving no help. Also I feel very left out - I want to be part of his recovery but cannot do anything. Cannot go to the meetings with him and meet the new people in his life or understand his feelings and give advise. Seems that now that he has his life back I need to find mine... Everything has been about him and his illness for so long that now I don't know what I am supposed to do. This is silly I know and given that we have a chance for a life I should not be feeling this way and adding extra stress. At the moment we don't really discuss anything big. Just the day to day stuff. I do find that I tip toe around him alot. Please tell me this is normal ?