View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Timeforachange1 View Post
My AH acted the exact same way. Truth is he went to AA, but never worked an honest program. He picked a "sponsor" who wasn't stable (as a cover I'm sure). The moods and verbal abuse continues. I figure dry drunk!?! No!!! He never made it past step 4 (I guess it was too much work). He relapsed on pills and whoa! Talk about a new level of jackassery! He quit meetings all together, became physically dependent on pills and eventually relapsed on alcohol.

My advice- set boundaries and don't engage. Remind yourself that he chooses to act this way and it's no reflection of you. Heck- it probably has nothing to do with you! I'm not divorced but we are separated. I still can get sucked in and have a bad day, but at the end of the day it's not my addiction and I don't want to live miserable like him.
Lol, I love that way you describe it. "Talk about a new level of jackassery!" And
"Too much work."

My story is so similar but my STBXAH is addicted to pain pills, then started drinking a lot. It was the drinking that really pushed me over the edge. I could no longer stand being around him because of it. But his brain needed more dopamine to help the receptors he didn't need so that won out. Good job hubby!!