View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ariel1030

It sounds like two things. I am divorced, and being the one that wanted out, it's just typical divorce anger because you have moved on and he obviously hasn't. When I was first divorced, the verbal abuse and games were awful. He would say and so such off the wall things - and he wasn't an alcoholic.

It's been 8 years. We share a child, so we have to talk. It was very bad when I moved on, gave birth in my current relationship, etc. Finally, I just started handling him with kid gloves, apologizing, detaching, and if he started in on me I just wouldn't catch the ball. Just don't reply. It will escalate but the behavior will go away, it's like dealing w a 4 yo.

Second, once they quit drinking the fun just begins, from my reading. He is now a "dry drunk," and will worsen/continue on with bad behavior for about a year if he stays sober AND goes to AA. If he doesn't go to AA idk. Again this is only reading. However, when my AH has stopped drinking for a week (longest he's made it in 6 years), he turns into a monster. I tell him to go- out of the house. He'll get wasted, get the poison back into his blood, and he's at least tolerable. He refuses AA or that he has a problem. But what you are saying is typical from what I gather. A mentor of mine said her NA hubby was the worst the year following rehab. So, I don't know. I wish I knew what was in store for you, for all of us. Maybe encourage AA?