View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Hello SR friends -

I'm Day 13 without alcohol and am really struggling. I have the conviction in my heart and know intellectually that I cannot drink. But my mind is saying "just drink one or two beers and you will be able to relax your mind enough to __________." Huge deadline tomorrow and am having a hard time being still with myself.
You are right where you should be at two weeks. It's tough. We're through the withdrawals but the mental wrangling with our addictive voice is tiring. We know a drink will shut it up, and it's so tempting. So tempting to promise ourselves "Just this little bit, and I'll get right back on the wagon."

Here's the thing about one or two beers. Few of us are here, in recovery, because we drink one or two beers. We trick ourselves into thinking we will, but if we could, we'd be normal drinking and not posting to a recovery site.

One of your first posts was about how you came to SR a year ago and determined you weren't ready. Then came back. Now here you are, with almost two weeks under your belt. Do you really want to go back where you were a year ago? Negotiating with your addiction.

One last word about your mind telling you, "one or two" This forum loses a lot of people every day. Usually after they've had "one or two." Some come back. Many don't.

Don't risk being the one that can't come back. I quit for a couple months back in 1997. Decided I wanted a beer. Had a 22 oz Icehouse. Then another. Then drank for 13 more years.

Be strong. You can do this.