View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wpainterw

As you know, I am still recovering from the aftereffects of a bladder infection acquired in a hospital as a result of non invasive aortic valve replacement surgery.This has required the use of a catheter for several weeks and has deepened my depressive state. Poor food in these facilities has led to rapid weight loss. Often my spirits have been low and I could sense my AV crying out, not for booze but for things that infants like. Cookies, for example. I have often subsisted on a diet of cookies and fruit juice. with a bit of protein now and then.
Why the cookies? To placate the AV I thought. Although the days have long past when I would do this with booze, the AV still has to be dealt with and one way of doing this to give it cookies, ice cream, etc., as you would give a child. Thinking this over I suspect that this is why persons with long term sobriety often seem grossly overweight. Having given up drinking they may be using cookies, candy, etc. to placate their AVs. AVRT teaches us just to ignore out AV's. I wonder whether we can really do this. It is primitive and, like a dog or a little child, can hardly be ignored. It must be put on a leash, put in a dog crate if necessary. Controlled and carefully monitored by the more rational part of the brain.

W.