View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ForMeForThem

Hi everyone.

Just want to get something off my chest...put it out there I guess so maybe I can let it go. My family is invited to a celebration dinner this weekend at a close family friends house. When RSVPing my friend said, "if nothing else, they'll be plenty of wine there" and laughed. I froze and said nothing. After a few seconds of awkward silence, she said "or beer for people who like that". Again I said nothing, after another awkward silence, I said, "well I'm sure it will be fun and we'll see you then". So here's what I'm getting off my chest...I know I won't drink, just not going to do it but ever since then sneaky thoughts keep popping in my head. Like she planted an idea or something. I keep shutting them down but I'm annoyed. Even more annoying is that it seems like after I shut down the thoughts of drinking at the dinner party, by brain went to mother's day. I'm going to a big family picnic. My family is not filled with big drinkers, there may or may not be alcohol there and drinking definitely will not be a focus. But I found myself thinking about it a couple times. I know I won't drink, I don't want to. My life is coming together, I feel like I'm getting back to the me I'm supposed to be and drinking just has no place in my life. So I'm telling on myself because I haven't liked the thoughts popping in my head. Also, I feel a little guilty, like I should have said to my friend, "I don't drink" instead of saying nothing. I'm prepared for the party and will just say no thanks, it won't be a big deal I know that. What do you guys think? Normal recovery stuff or should I be concerned?