View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
CupofJoe

Hey there,

I was of two minds when I quit. There was a part of me that desperately wanted to quit and there was a part of me that wanted to keep drinking to the bitter end. But some part of me knew that it was only getting worse and I had to do whatever it took to stop. And part of me wanted to keep drinking. Addiction is complicated...

All I can say is that I first started to realize I had a problem when I was in my late twenties. I kept drinking until I was 40 and it got much, much worse. I can't go back, but I'm glad I made the decision to stop eventually.

I also, like many of us, had severe social anxiety. I drank alone in my room by the time I stopped. I'm still pretty shy, but my skills in handling social situations are growing. I had therapy for the anxiety and it's helped immensely. But it wouldn't have helped if I were still drinking.

I hope you'll find the resolve to pursue sobriety. You've got many wonderful years ahead of you and I hope you'll find a way to enjoy them sober. It's a better route, honestly.

Be well.