Thread: Becoming
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RaiseAnchor

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
It kind of drives me bonkers studying accounting when I'd rather be studying philosophy!
It's funny you mention this. When I initially started college my first plan was with majoring in philosophy, but I ended up double-majoring in accounting and management information systems. Sometimes, I wondered if I was majoring in accounting only for the possible job prospects. I do not regret my decision though.

You're at your senior year and it really sounds that you have a vested interest in accounting. Many students in my classes were very apathetic and had poor reasoning for being there (their parents wanted them to major in something useful). You have to want it. The shift from the classroom to working for a public firm, private company, or the many other places the profession can take you is dramatic. It is rarely exciting, but it can be and usually is challenging. Having the critical thinking skills that philosophy provides can be very beneficial along the side of accounting work.

I am in support of you finishing your accounting degree, but also continue pursuing philosophical material as a personal interest. Also, keep on keepin' on with your sobriety!