View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
miamifella

I got into a few fights because I argued that "we" could not be the whole human race. But the AA groups I was in were very old-fashioned and strict about that stuff. I was told that alcoholics admit that we are powerless, but that it is everyone who is powerless. (They just never need to admit it.)

Even if it is just alcoholics though, I would also argue that they can help another fight against the urge. While it was mostly non-alcoholics/non-addicts who helped me in time of need, I do not think they were uniquely "powerful" over alcohol/substances. I think people in the program should be able to aid in this way. I know there are concerns about triggering, but I do not think "powerlessness" applies here.

And in this forum many still in the program say that they agree with me on this--even if this point of view is contrary to the first step.

I spent years trying to do it the 12-step way and pray away the urges I had. But it was not until I left the program and got help from the people whom I was taught were "powerless" to help, that I finally was able to stay clean and sober. It was an earthly power that finally relieved the obsession. That earthy power was the help of some good friends and a good therapist. They were not powerless even if I was.