View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LBrain

ah ha! I get it now. I see your resentment.
1) That you are losing time with someone due to alcohol - you can't play in his sandbox anymore.
2) You want to rescue your friend and get him to play in your sandbox.

You cannot control your friend from drinking, he will gravitate toward those that still do.
You can still maintain a friendship. But you just have to set boundaries around it.
Eventually you will be more comfortable. Focus on the common ground. You do not have an exclusive friendship with this person. He needs his space too. Unfortunately some of his space involves drinking and you're no longer in the club.

The analogy of the day is this: Suddenly a good heathen friend becomes a born again Christian and falls hook line and sinker for it. Aside from his new found revelation, his mission is to also bring you into the fold. And you think he's nuts.

Same goes for alcohol. I am not trying to change anyone. Even so, there are still some people who think I'm nuts saying I will never drink again. How can you enjoy life without drinking? ETC.

Lead by example. Do not begrudge someone something they enjoy doing. Maybe when he sees how much better you have become he may want to look into it. If something unfortunate should happen to him as a direct result of alcohol, maybe then you can offer a suggestion on how you improved your life.
The main thing is to FOCUS ON YOURSELF.