View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gibbons2

Need advice about a friend/fellow alkie

O.k. so I have this neighbor guy who I have been friends with for about 3 years now. The friendship did start in the bar, but has evolved to more than that. He is only a couple houses down from me in the town I live in (very small, only 128 people here) and I go over in the mornings quite often to see how he is and talk, etc.

Although the relationship started out as a drunken one, now I see him when I and him are sober probably at least 2/3 the time (only 1/3 spent drinking together).

Here is where I need some help: Now that I am sober and planning on staying that way, I find myself resentful when he goes out with friends to party and get drunk. I also find myself resentful of some of his other friends as they are not the most savory of characters. (Between his drinking and some of his "friends," he has continually been in legal trouble ever since I have known him).

I would like to keep him as a friend as there aren't many people in this tiny town to be friends with and I do really like to be around him when he is sober (hate being around him when drunk). He is a great person sober.

So how do I get rid of this feeling of resentment towards him? Is there also some other feeling I am not aware of (I am a codependent so sometimes having my own feelings about things is hard to come by and I am never completely sure what they are sometimes).

Your advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone.