View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lovenjoy
happy, joyous an free!

Hi PlasticInsanity, welcome to SR! The support here is awesome, I hope you'll settle in and soak up the experience, strength and hope.

Way to go on 5 months clean time! That is truly fantastic! I am ACOA (alcoholic father), AA (recovering alcoholic 16 yrs), and my son is a recovering addict with a five year old. So your post really spoke to me on many levels. I know I will find myself thinking of you and your niece and your sister and will keep you all in my prayers.

The best thing you can do for your sister, imho, is to make your recovery the first and highest priority. And it is also the best thing you can do for your niece. But most importantly for yourself!!! Your niece is blessed to have you being there for her - to show love, and attention, and caring - I am still dealing with the fact that my parents weren't able to give me these things (all those many years ago!) but I do remember my aunt and a neighbor really looking out for me.

I am so glad you have chosen a better life for yourself! Keep your focus on your program and living the best life you can and I believe your HP will lead you. Being a loving presence for your niece is a wonderful gift you are giving to her. I have many concerns for my granddaughter and since I have been working a new program of recovery from codependency with help in alanon I find the tools I gain, and have gained in other programs, help me to help her in very subtle but I believe powerful ways. I cherish her and let her know that. We have a deep trust between us. We talk, constantly! These are things I did not have as a child in a dysfunctional family and I think they may be coping tools for her that could break the cycle.....

Didn't mean to ramble but like I said, I can relate! Sending good thoughts your way and hope to hear more of your journey. We learn so much from each other here. Never underestimate that reaching out for help not only lifts you up, but it lifts others up as well...

Welcome...