View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PlasticInsanity

My sister, her "man", and a child

I want to start by saying I'm a recovering addict - I'm 5 months clean on May 4th. I've been in and out of active addiction with various drugs (cocaine and pills primarily) since I was about 19-20, and I'm now 25.

My sister and her "man" are both still in active addiction. My sister's been making promises to slow down since New Years, and every time push comes to shove she says "well I was stressed" etc etc and uses events or her the fact her "boyfriend" uses as excuses. I know what excuses are, I used to make them up as I went along too, LOL.

The part I'm concerned about is that they have a 5-year old daughter. Standing from a distance they look like a good family. However, obviously as an addict you can't be a responsible parent. She's late for pre-school almost every day. I had to help set up a dentist appt for my niece. My sister focuses more on her "boyfriend" (I believe she's codependent), and often my niece looks to me for attention. Her "boyfriend" has been jobless for awhile, has no desire to work, and is basically sleeping on couches here and there. She was supposed to be gradually cutting down, but we realized by the evidence in her room that she's not.

My sister right now weighs about 100 pounds (stands 5'4). She says she doesn't eat because of stress. I'll give her kudos for keeping up with housework and laundry, but it's only because of the pills. We're both adult children of an alcoholic (my dad), and I'm worried my niece is going to suffer the similar fate.

Anyone else have a similar experience?? I'm totally lost as to what to do.