View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
justinJustQuit

Alcohol Withdrawal and Working

I have this really great friend. I told him before we worked together that I'm an alcoholic. He said "get help man" so I did. Later, I got a job with him (this was in January) and obviously I fell off the wagon and had alcohol issues since then.

He is basically my boss, but it's informal. Well, last week I took three days off work. One of those nights I got extremely intoxicated and had a very bad night. I won't bother with the details. The next day I took off because I was too hungover to go to work. I realized I had fallen off, so I got more meds and detoxed again. The third day (friday), I took off because withdrawal was really bad.

I go back into work this Monday (sober), and he asked what happened. I told him I fell off into drinking again. He simply looked at me and asked: "did you get it taken care of?". I said "yep". He said: "Good. Don't worry about charging this as vacation. Just take them as sick days. And no more eating at Joe Bucks."

I put this long story on here because it's amazing how much people have to complain about other people. I've known this guy for a year and a half (not long), and he's been totally understanding about everything. I'm not saying people should run and tell their bosses that they are alcoholics, but I AM saying that not everyone alienates you because of it.