View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NewYorker99

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Often times underneath the addiction is a core mental illness which is not being treated. I assume she is not seeing a psychiatrist now, rather is getting her current script from a GP.

I think this is very wise advice. I suggest to most who inquire that a mental illness evaluation be done on any addict. My personal experience is many times bi-polar or Borderline Personality Disorder can be lurking under the addiction specifically Bipolar II, although it can be a myriad of things.

Depression and anti anxiety meds don't play well with Alcohol especially benzo's which can be deadly when mixed with alcohol.

If you are still in contact I would say to encourage her to go, though I am NOT encouraging you to contact her if you aren't.

Best to stay far, far away.
Yes, I'm still in contact with her... and from afar. I've set boundaries for myself. And have told her explicitly that there would be no drinking prior to and during times of our meet ups. Otherwise, I will just walk away.

Her current script is from a GP. I've already thought and know about some of the things you've mentioned. I personally don't have any experience with psychiatrists.

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
...Support her, but from a safe distance.
I'm well aware of this. Actions do speak louder than words. I remain skeptical that she truly wants to quit drinking.