View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Please let's get back on topic here and address the original poster. Nobody's obeying anyone in her post, she is concerned for her husbands sobriety because of his pain issues needing attention.

Anxiouswife, when I first came here it was suggested strongly that I stop trying to second guess tomorrow because I lose all the joy in today. An oldtimer named Ogly used to throw that at me over and over and I was really frustrated because I KNEW my son and I KNEW what would happen. But she was right because what I didn't realize yet was that I had no control over what happened tomorrow or any other day.

Your husband will use or not use no matter what you do or don't do. i know that sounds absurd but it's the sad truth of how it is with addiction. If love could save our addicts, if anger could stop our addicts, if we had any control over their addiction at all...not one of us would be here.

There comes a time when we have to accept that they are going to make their own decisions, good or bad, and that we can only decide what is and what is not okay in our lives.

Your life choices are entirely up to you and you don't have to live in the fear of his next relapse. You can learn how to let go of the fear whether you stay with him or leave. You can learn how to live a life filled with happiness and find joy in each day...no matter how his days are going. Many of us found our balance at meetings, Al-anon, Nar-anon or CoDA are three similar fellowships that focus on us and our issues. There are also various family support meetings, Christian meetings, and others that have been helpful to several here.

It's hard to let go of trying to fix them, it's also hard to start fixing ourselves. But we're worth it and in the end, the only people we can control in this world is ourselves.

Hope you find some way to find peace in your life, no matter what you choose to do with it.

Hugs