View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
charleesavedme
I'm Wide Awake

Thanks VeryReady!

Great job, FMFT! Six months...what a great accomplishment. I hope you are feeling good today.

Nomis, I'm sorry that your parents believe that addicts are weak-willed etc. I believed that for a long time. That if I only had a strong enough will power, I could be a normal drinker. I've come to believe that I was born this way no more than if I was born with an allergy to dairy or wheat. If only being alcohol-free was as trendy right now as being gluten free...right? That doesn't negate the damage done by the years of drinking too much and the toll that takes on families, but maybe someday they will recognize the genetic connection to addiction.

I'm also glad to hear your sister beat her addiction to heroin.

It sounds as if you have a good relationship with your parents and maybe some day will be the right day or maybe you'll just continue to show them your sobriety rather than talk about it. I think for a while that's how I'll handle my parents. I have to tell my sister because my brother-in-law is a big wine drinker and was always offering me wine. I'm going to their house in June for my niece's graduation so I will have to make sure everyone knows it's off the table. I'm already planning my strategy this time so I don't slip like I did when I went on vacation last year. My sister is not a big drinker and will be a true supporter.

I also agree that eating out could be a big trigger, but since I told my husband that I have a problem and have to stop, I think in this instance, I will be okay. But, another part of my strategy is staying close to home for quite a while to avoid any triggers until I get more time behind me. Thank you for your sage advice.

I had a pretty stressful day at work and then we have tornado and storm warnings here which make me nervous. But I'm here with my mint iced tea and my head is clear in the event bad weather comes our way and I have to take action to keep everyone safe. I'll take that for today.

Part 7 here we come!