View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lillamy

I think there's a cultural aspect to it, too.

My culture does not value emotional expression. In fact, if I start crying or raise my voice, it's a sign that I have run out of arguments, and the conclusion generally drawn is that I should go away and regain my composure before continuing any interaction with other humans. (I swear I don't have scales or a tail or black blood... although typed out, it sounds like I'm some kind of alien! )

I'm still heavily influenced by that. I don't see emotional arguments as being as valid as rational arguments. But I don't think that's necessarily always bad.

Example: AXH would be angry and furious and jealous and hurt and raging if I went out for coffee with my girlfriends. He thought the fact that his feelings were hurt ought to be enough for me to simply cease my hurtful behavior. My rational argument -- that he was responsible for his emotions, and that there was nothing objectively wrong in what I was doing -- feel on deaf ears with him. Because the fact that his feelings were hurt to him automatically meant that someone else must have done something wrong.

So that's sort of the "other side" of "emotional people don't get heard" -- sometimes, there's a good reason for it.

And, as we all know, sometimes, there's not.