Old 04-25-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HappyBilal415

Newcomer seeks advice on maintaing friendships while recovering

Warmest greetings to my new sober community.

I am a 31 year old male from the West Coast who has struggled off and on with binge drinking since age 20. During those years I was beset by a number of personal tragedies which also effected some of my friends. Most of us are sober, others are still recovering. However, some of my friends are musicians and inhabit environments rich in alcohol. I am capable of spending time alone working on my writing, art, lesson plans (I'm a secondary school teacher) or watching films. However, I have a tendency towards extreme isolation (successful introvert). I know that this journey will require emotional support. Sadly, due to many emotional crises precipitated by alcohol I am not currently working. My wife and I were recently evicted from our home which had been a center of both sober and non sober activity. I love my friends, but I also know we are ate different stages in life and our interest will differ. I am most focused on preserving my relationship with my wife, but even that has difficulties as my new sober lifestyle has brought out a lot of difficult emotions from the past that I had been suppressing, grief, anger, feelings of inadequacy, incompleteness. I am Newcomer seeks advice on maintaing overjoyed by the new energy I have for my writing and art, but the more difficult emotions are eating at me. How do I reach out without disturbing my friends. I don't want to frighten them away. Is it more important to focus on self right now? I know my friends are loyal, but I just feel like I need them, but I don't know how to yet to reach them without the possibility of a drink or being in a non-sober environment.

I should mention I have not yet attended a 12 step meeting, but am hoping to involve myself in a beginners meeting this coming Monday.

Any advice, support, literature would be very appreciate.

Bless you all