View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
Hi,

I too had a therapist change professions on me. He gave me a heads up and maybe 2 sessions later, he referred me to a fellow dr and that was it. I was very upset by this as was a friend who also saw him. Maybe 12 years later I ran into him and he approached me but I didn't recognize him and once I did realize who he was, I felt mad and distant. Silly, but I felt dumped even though I intellectually understood that he needed to change careers. I felt abandoned by someone I thought I could trust to help me and care for my mental health. Don't know if you are feeling any of those feelings but it is a change. There are always mixed feelings in those situations. Does he have partners whom you have met?

I prefer male therapists too. I like the perspective of the opposite sex. I cannot give myself that and have learned lots from the men in my life. Maybe you need a male in more ways than one???? (hehe)

Do you think T sees that you are healing and discovering yourself and your rah is not progressing or doing it at a snails pace? Maybe he sees you doing the 12 steps as a way to justify procrastinating the inevitable. Avoidance? My last T wasn't a fan of non-A's doing 12 steps either. Mine wasn't a fan of the term codependency either. Not sure why.
My psychiatrist prefers the term "caretaker" over codependent. He says codependent has too many negative connotations associated with it. I tend to agree. He also stresses that a certain degree of detachment is good, but that human relationships are one of the most basic, essential parts of our existence. Getting happy with yourself should always be the priority and will lead to positive relationships. When you love yourself you don't put up with ******** from others (his quote, lol).