View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Thanks for the all the replies. Also, thanks for understanding my metaphor, although I think everyone who replied already understood the thesis without the metaphor. I was really making it for newcomers, many of whom express something to the effect of Bad things continually happen when I drink, but I can't imagine just giving it up completely.

It is a thought I wrestled with for 20+ years. How do I cut back enough to make the bad stuff stop happening? The obvious solution of just avoiding alcohol altogether was never actually obvious. It takes over our minds in a way that few other perils ever could.

Truth be told, my AV still preys on that thought process. Maybe just once a year? Take a vacation someplace and light it up for a day or two. You can handle that. Problem is - then - whammo! a finger comes off.

I do love ripping lumber, and I still have all my fingers. Of all the constrain-the-drinking rules I ever put in place for myself (while I was still drinking) that may be the only one I never violated - I never operated my saws when drunk. I would frequently arrange a project to make all the cuts first, and then start assembly, but once the booze came out the saws stayed off. If I ever decide to work the 12 steps perhaps that will be my HP.

Thanks Again!