Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
relobe

I thought some of you may be interested in this as well as it adds to my whole ordeal: Another unique factor, and a significant problem that could increase the chances of derailing my sobriety efforts, is the fact that I've recently had my mother move in with me. She was a severe alcoholic for about 15 years (during my childhood), to the point of being arrested repeatedly for wandering the streets drunk, going through hallucinations associated with withdrawals, etc. - the whole nine yards. After finally being able to quit, she became severely depressed and did not leave her house (mainly a particular room in her house) for about 10 years; she basically cut off the world so she wouldn't be tempted to drink. She became a hoarder as well, essentially turning the home into a warehouse.

Anyways, I got her to move in with me and, after addressing some of the medical issues that arose from her 10 year stint locked in her home, also got her to start coming to work with me at my store for four hours per day just to get her out of the house and into the routine. After a while, she began taking care of herself, getting her hair done, dressing nicely, and you can just tell she got her confidence back. The problem is: she will not agree to quitting her desire for "one drink" after the end of each day (she feels she deserves it since she goes to work with me; when she was locked up in her home she never drank but was a complete mess). She makes it a point to disagree with me on the fact that she is an alcoholic ("I'm not an alcoholic, an alcoholic needs to drink this much and do this, I'm just having one drink will you just relax?" etc.)

She is not my child, so I can't command her to do otherwise. She does not drive, so it kills me to have to drive her to the store for her to buy her single can (she doesn't get drunk, but I don't have to tell you guys this is skating on thin ice). On top of the fact that she's putting herself at risk of becoming a drunk once again, she is regularly exposing me to alcohol that I'd like to avoid - it definitely becomes tempting.

I've never told her about my issues with alcohol, but I'm on the verge of doing so. Maybe it will open her eyes and let her realize that admitting to having a problem with alcohol is ok. Maybe she can acknowledge that by her drinking in front of me, it's increasing my risk of drinking again. It's just a really tough thing for me to have to admit to her in particular, but I think that it's something that must be done very soon though for the both of us.