View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

Originally Posted by SoulSister View Post
I understand you would rather be happy than right.

You are in a program, however, and disagree with the fundamental beliefs of the program.

The only danger in that is when you repeat it to a newcomer. You are teaching something then, that differs from the main philosophy of our program.

The problem with sponsors teaching us wrong information is that we learn it and profess it to be truth, teaching others.

Happy or right. When it comes to people needing to learn this program of AA...one needs to get the foundation right.

Especially if they are going to be teaching or leading others.

I just don't see how you could disagree with the program's position on choice and still be so involved in AA.

Why would someone who disagrees with loss of choice be in a program that teaches loss of choice?

Is it for social reasons?

It seems many people are in AA, but don't like the Lord's prayer, don't like God, don't agree with lack of power, or loss of choice...and on and on.

It just amazes me how many people are in one program where the beliefs are clearly outlined in our book, yet say, oh, yes, that is in the book, but my sponsor told me otherwise so I believe that instead.

I'm glad your way works for you GracieLou...even if it's not what AA teaches us. I know there are many ways to stay sober.

Again, the only danger is if we pass along incorrect information. Telling someone if they drink again that it was a bad choice or their choice, and that they are not powerless until after they take a drink of alcohol is not what is written in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.
What exactly are you trying to "teach" gracielou? Everyone works their program in different ways. Knowitallism is NOT attractive nor is it appropriate to tell someone that what they're getting out of the program is wrong. This is the kind of preachy, rigid, BS that scares people away from 12 step programs.