View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
SoulSister

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
You know I really did not want to get into this. I would rather be happy then right. I am happy with my program and my sponsor BUT because this is a message board and others will come along that will read and perhaps gain insight into alcoholism and Alcoholics Anonymous I feel the burning desire.

Bill W wrote "Freedom Under God: The Choice is Ours

In this he talks about the choices we have. The quest for freedom and to obtain this freedom we have a choice.

Here are two extracted statements from that paper.

"In the quest for freedom we are given three choices. A rebellious refusal to work upon our glaring defects can be a ticket to destruction...."

"For most of us this last choice is really ours; we must never be blinded by the futile philosophy that we are just hapless victims of our inheritance, our life experiences and our surroundings - that these are the sole forces that make our decisions for us. This is not the road to freedom. We have to believe that we really can choose."

The BB says, Page 53 "God either is or he isn't, What was our choice to be?" I choose to believe he is. This is a choice

The BB stays, Page 44, "To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face." This a choice.

I have a choice, I can follow the path of sobriety using the AA program as my guide with my HP in the driver seat along with all the tools and people that have been gifts to me with a feeling of gratitude for every one of them. I can use all the gifts to give back as I was given with service work in my HG and reaching out to the newcomer.

If I consistently do all these things, if I am painstaking, I will never have to drink again.

Or

I can choose not to. It is really that simple, at least for me it is. I like simple.
I understand you would rather be happy than right.

You are in a program, however, and disagree with the fundamental beliefs of the program.

The only danger in that is when you repeat it to a newcomer. You are teaching something then, that differs from the main philosophy of our program.

The problem with sponsors teaching us wrong information is that we learn it and profess it to be truth, teaching others.

Happy or right. When it comes to people needing to learn this program of AA...one needs to get the foundation right.

Especially if they are going to be teaching or leading others.

I just don't see how you could disagree with the program's position on choice and still be so involved in AA.

Why would someone who disagrees with loss of choice be in a program that teaches loss of choice?

Is it for social reasons?

It seems many people are in AA, but don't like the Lord's prayer, don't like God, don't agree with lack of power, or loss of choice...and on and on.

It just amazes me how many people are in one program where the beliefs are clearly outlined in our book, yet say, oh, yes, that is in the book, but my sponsor told me otherwise so I believe that instead.

I'm glad your way works for you GracieLou...even if it's not what AA teaches us. I know there are many ways to stay sober.

Again, the only danger is if we pass along incorrect information. Telling someone if they drink again that it was a bad choice or their choice, and that they are not powerless until after they take a drink of alcohol is not what is written in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.