View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
gratefulgal

Hi blitz,
I'm glad that you find this site very useful in your recovery. I like it a lot too. For me, I also need in-person meetings and a sponsor to help me work the 12 steps. I've only been going to AA meetings for a few months now, but personally, they're keeping me sober. AA is certainly not the only way to get/stay sober so if you'd like to try a new approach on your way to sobriety, by all means, go ahead. AA is simply a suggested program of recovery. I truly believe that AA is a gift from God and the reason people talk about it as life saviors is because AA has saved many peoples' lives. Yes, there is supposed to be no "cross talk" at meetings and there is no dialog during the meeting but there's a meeting before the meeting and a meeting after the meeting. The reason for the "no dialog" format is because a huge part of recovery, especially for the newcomer, is to listen. The old timers might tell you to "take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth." I understand that sometimes with these posts it can get a little annoying with the constant suggestion of AA/NA, but it's only because a lot of people are very passionate and grateful about their recovery. I wish you the best with yours.