View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
reflection

DD, keep working on those parental feelings, they run deep, but you can have peace with them. You are an insightful, good, genuine person and you're doing what you need to do to take care of yourself and your relationship with your immediate family.

I've only seriously quit one other time, but this time it feels different. For me it's similar to what Trudging said - this time my approach and insight are different - I don't like me when I'm drinking. I don't like how I relate to others when I'm drinking. I don't like feeling embarrassed the next day, wondering if I said or did something embarrassing. I'm motivated by that embarrassment, for better or for worse. Reminding myself why I'm doing this, caring about myself, checking in here and reminding myself that I can't drink like a normal person, all that helps.

In the past week someone I dated came back into my life (in a friend capacity). We dated about 3.5 years ago, I was a drunken mess during that time and in that relationship. He had his own stuff going on. It was not good. He recently apologized for his actions and I for mine. It's really stirred up some feelings in me that I can't put my finger on. I think they're mostly good (relief?), but heaviness, too (regret?). I imagine this is what it's like in AA to reconnect with people you've hurt. That accepting part is painful.