Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MesaMan

I hit Day 100 Sober early next week. It's been tricky with a Wife who likes to Binge with her Codie Bingeing Gal Pals, but I've managed to peacefully have her ramp back that behavior. She's trying to be helpful by keeping her Wine somewhat out of sight, and by moderating. We're working through some issues in a low key way, but I'm basically doing all this solo. Some years back, she offered to quit Drinking if it would help me quit. I didn't take that offer seriously then, nor would I take it seriously now if offered again. It was just grasping at Straws w/o necessary conviction. Her [un]willingness to change has nothing to do with my willingness and need to change. She's a Big Girl and a daily Pot Smoker with lots of 'up sides'.

My obvious suggestion is that solo Activity 'x' that used to be coupled with Drinking 'y' simply takes time to reprogram. FWIW, things got somewhat better for me within weeks. I'm pretty much past wanting to drink just because she does. What I found is that certain triggers get dealt with and then kinda recede. Other triggers pop up, and they need to be addressed, too. However, they're not necessarily overwhelming. They 'spike'. I figger that's a never ending challenge, but it becomes more manageable. Some day, Drinking will be a non-issue, and I'll have only to remain vigilant.

Keep some fall back Escape Strategies handy. You simply tough through it with support it until it gets easier. Not unlike Physical Rehab after, say, Whiplash or Surgery.