Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LSC1
Learning to LIve

HI lilac
I could have written either of your posts. I was my hubbie's drinking partner for 20 years. The first month was it REALLY hard not to drink with alcohol in the house... slowly it got easier.

I had to ALWAYS have cold soft drink or juice in the fridge. I got out of the house as much as possible ... I walked and walke and walked. My dog thought she had gone to doggy heaven

I also stocked up on heaps of varieties of tea ... (my new addiction). I came into chat whenever I had the urge to drink ... I think THAT was my main weapon against taking that first drink while hubby sat on the other lounge with a glass of wine. And lots of snacks are VITAL both healthy and not.

I took up some sober hobbies ... geocaching ... volunteering .. things to do while he was drinking at the club.

I slowly started doing chores I used to "blow off" just one at a time ... I found housework hard tho because it was a major trigger for me .. so I didn't push it.
Keeping busy is a good strategy ... and for quiet time there is also chat.

We have kids and my hubby is pretty good Dad most of the time ... so ATM I am staying put.

Looke after your self .. find a friend you can chat to .. it really helps ... maybe check out AA or Alanon.