Thread: Newcomer
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stoogy
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSky View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am a newbie here. I admitted to having a problem 7 months ago, but I always manage to find a drink. My largest problem is that I can lie and BELIEVE it as an absolute truth. I need to tell my tale, and the protection of anonymity seems helpful. I have never been honest with any person, but I figure I need to be honest now.

I am in my mid-20's. During college, I engaged in risky behavior - including, psychedelics, pills, intravenous drugs, etc. I graduated nevertheless. During this time I picked up my drinking habit to replace harder drugs. I have tricked myself that alcohol was the "lesser of all evils." I spent many years buying Old English each morning without any qualms. I later went to law school and found myself drinking more than ever (and I was drinking too much already).

I graduated and passed the bar exam in my state. I kept drinking from morning until night. I was living with the woman of my dreams, but constantly lied about my drinking - I take a medication that can resemble the effects of alcohol. I blamed my medication. Eventually, I lost my job and I have searched for work for quite some time. She kicked me out of our apartment, and I moved back in with my parents. I was not sober for 3 months straight. I worked up the courage to return to the state I am licensed in. My EX still loves me; though, I feel "on the hook."

I am living in a dark, dank room with college kids that party every night. I have admitted to myself that I have a problem, but I can't resist the urge to join in. Amongst unemployment, the hope for a relationship that I ruined, and going from living in a wonderful loft to a college house, I find little hope in life.

Everyone has felt rock bottom, but I am comfortable in my misery (which is disturbing). I have turned to this community because there is nowhere else I can go. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.
Well done on having the courage and strength to admit and take responsibility, there are plenty pholk here that can and will sympothise.
Sadly we sometimes have to hit rock bottom before we see the path we must take on.
Wishing you well.