Thread: Newcomer
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HumbleNumb

SBS: Let me welcome you as the others have, and thank you for logging in, your honest post, and your obvious acceptance that the problem exists and is very real for you.

Now, to address your last question... Recovery is in and of itself a "community", where we ALL share our experiences, strength and hope with others. As a community, we support one another in the ups and downs that come with a life of recovery. We understand the stages and phazes that we have gone through, and recognize them in others who have reached out for help. We accept one another and we strive to share the hope we have with those who are still climbing to reach that hope for themselves.
For myself, I do not consider that hearing everyone else's problems is something to be "put up" with, but that is because I have crossed that line in my own life. Addiction is a condition wrought with and fueled by one's selfishness. It is that part of addiction that makes it difficult to understand how we can encourage and support others through their problems. For me, it is a blessing to be available and to hold the hand of someone who is trying to find their way. No one will tell you what to do, only what has worked for them. We may be different, but we're all the same. We all want to think that we're somehow "different", our "terminal uniqueness" if you will... because that is what enables us to continue to justify our actions and continue in destructive behaviors.
I wish you health, serenity, and most of all peace.. with yourself and with your recovery.
No one puts their problems on others around here.... we gladly accept you, AND your problems... and try to help in some small way whenever we can. THAT's community.
(We're all on this ride together)