View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jb123

Should I leave my fiancé?

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I'm feeling pretty nervous and anxious.

My fiancé has been in rehab since April 10th. His drinking first became out of control this last 6 months however he has been a problem drinker since he first drank at age 16. He recently went to detox for 10 days in February but relapsed shortly after. He has now admit to me that he thought he would be able to "control" his drinking after detox but realizes now that he has hit rock bottom that he must abstain forever.

We are supposed to be getting married in early August and am petrified. I'm not sure what to do. I think that we should postpone the wedding and allow him to focus on his recovery. Part of me feels like I should leave him forever. Another part of me has faith that he can recover and have a happy married life.

We have been together for 9 years and postponing will be a huge financial loss as well as a big shame on me and my family (due to our culture).

When he calls me, he is obviously remorseful and promising to commit to recovery. He tells me that it is my choice but he really wants to go forward with the wedding.

I feel so lost. I am seeing a counsellor, attending Al anon, reading literature and this forum.

Please provide with any advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!