Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dSober
Recovered from Hopeless State

I smoked weed every day for around 25 years (~16-40). I didn't have a serious drinking problem back then (I'm 57 now) and at the time, I didn't see weed as a problem either. I started in HS in CA where/when weed was $10/oz. I moved back east a few years later and was struck by how much more it was here but kept smoking. Later, as the price kept going up, I got annoyed paying for it and grew it in my backyard a couple years. I finally quit when I felt my daughter might be getting old enough to recognize it. It really wasn't that big a deal to stop.

Looking back, I do remember paranoia and laziness. I feel I'd have accomplished more, possibly much more, if I hadn't been a pothead for so long.

I was also anxious/nervous around girls. This might have been, at least in part, due to paranoia from weed but I don't know. I found that it mostly faded through my 20s but after a few girl friends and a wife, I still feel less comfortable with women than I think I should.

You've kicked the most important substance. When I began abusing alcohol it tore me up... damn near killed me. It caused MUCH more damage to me than my other past and current substance addictions: weed and cigarettes. I still smoke cigarettes, they seem to be the hardest to quit, but at least they're only killing me slowly :-)