View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 04/14/14

Many of us develop a heightened awareness of our thoughts as we recover in Al-Anon. After a while, we are able to notice the change when our thinking becomes distorted. But if we wish to put a stop to negative
thoughts, awareness is just the beginning. When “stinking thinking” takes hold of me, I must do more than just dismiss the negative thoughts. I must replace them with something positive or I am likely to
slide right back into my negative thinking. Our group ordered a collection of Al-Anon Conference Approved Literature (CAL) on audiocassettes when they were available. I have gotten into the habit of listening to them in my car when I’m driving around town. Even though I had read these CAL pamphlets many times before, hearing them spoken out loud is a different and very powerful experience. If my attitude is not good, adjusting it by listening to Al-Anon wisdom on a tape, at a meeting, or one-to- one can get me back on track.

Today’s Reminder

Today I’m going to pay close attention to what I tell myself. If necessary, I’ll stop in mid-thought, start over, and replace negative illusions with positive truths.

“What we teach ourselves with our thoughts and attitudes is up to us.”

. . . In All Our Affairs