Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Confuseddotcom

lol dsober i guess we could be accused of echolalia .. i think it is great that we can have a bit of fun interspersed with this very seious topic.

And, if someone like me, who is in very early days, can learn from a discussion such as this (i had never heard of rational recovery) and see that there are as many different approaches as there are addicts, it is only a good thing. The first thing people say to me is usually "well why dont you go to aa" .. i then have to try and explain that im hooked on codeine/painmeds NOT alcohol, but to be perfectly honest, when it comes to alcohol, my first and foremost thought in "the days before my own fall" was always AA is the only way.

Maybe it is because AA have been around for such a long time and the secular approaches are fairly new, cbt, rebt, RR et al are all relatively "new concepts" in the world of psychology and the various applications.
A bit like treatments for depression/anxiety.. those have drastically changed from overmedicating in the 60s/70s/80s to more talking and cognitive based first time approaches.

This is really an invaluable thread, with HUGE amounts of information.. i have trawled back to earlier pages and have picked up some great points.