Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Originally Posted by Confuseddotcom View Post
i find that quote really insulting to people who choose alternative ways to being clean/sobriety! really? they can sod off?? Personally i find it hard to take some of the views of AA/NarAnon, this goes back to the "disease model" vs the "choice model".. for me, i made a choice (a BAD choice) to take handfuls of pills, im not sick or diseased, i made a bad choice to escape from whatever it is that i can't face and because they gave me a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling and nothing much mattered. I am not doomed to a lifelong struggle, i have to be committed to overcoming certain thought and behaviour patterns and, like a child, i have to be open to be taught different ways of coping.

If other people are happy to subscribe to a lifeterm of treatment, believe that they were powerless and want to go down that route, that is FINE, but i wouldnt tell anybody who disagrees with my personal, more scientific route to getting back to normal life to sod off. Using aggressive language as such does sound like forcing one way over another onto people, you are basically saying that the ONLY way is the AA/NarAnon way and that's just not true.
Sorry to offend you by my post but it can be a little wearing hearing about how AA doesn't work for some people. I don't like prunes but I'm not constantly making references to how much I don't like them every time I eat another piece of fruit I do like and if I owned a prune shop and you came in and started telling me you didn't like prunes I would point out to you that you don't have to eat my prunes, or anyone else's prunes but please stop trying to put other people off of the damn prunes lol

Sod off is a lot less strong than get lost so maybe this part was lost in translation like Dee implied along with me thinking before I post;-)